Romanian Center for Alternative Test Methods (ROCAM) was established in June 2015 with the main goal to support and promote the 3Rs principles in Romania and regionally.
ROCAM is hosted by the University of Agricultural Sciences and Veterinary Medicine in Cluj-Napoca at the Institute of Life Sciences. ROCAM became Associate Member of European Consensus Platform for Alternatives (ecopa) in March 2017.
- ROCAM promotes the application of alternative methods in industry and their acceptance by regulators in Romania and also the development of new methods and approaches.
- ROCAM acts as a bottom-up and top-down hub in order to disseminate the ‘3Rs’ (Replacement, Reduction and Refinement) approaches.
- ROCAM provides and facilitate training and educational programs in the area of 3Rs.
- ROCAM supports research activities for the development, optimization, validation and application of alternative methods to animal testing (e.g. in vitro and in silico models).
- ROCAM will cover among others, any sector (e.g. chemicals, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, food and feed, etc.) that can be linked with the implementation of 3Rs principles in hazard and risk assessment.